Last Updated: June 22, 2023
You can find the earlier version(s) in our archive.
Collection of Information
The information we collect about you depends on how you use our Services or otherwise interact with us. In this section, we describe the categories of information we collect and the sources of this information.
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information directly from you when you create a Tonal account, submit content through our Services, make a purchase, communicate with us via third-party platforms, participate in a contest or promotion, request customer support or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information that we collect include your name, email address, postal address, telephone number, username and password, profile picture, height and weight, age, gender, experience level, fitness goals, workout preferences, and any other information you choose to provide. If you make a purchase from us, we work with a third-party payment processor to collect and process your payment information.
Information We Collect Automatically
We automatically collect certain information about your interactions with us or our Services, including:
- Activity Information: We collect information about your workouts when you use the Equipment, including the frequency and length of your workouts, workout start and end times, exercises performed, number of sets and repetitions for each exercise, amount of weight lifted, and information about your interactions with other users through the Services. With your consent, we may also collect information about how your body moves while using the Equipment, such as data collected from peripherals and our hardware. For example, if you use our Smart View feature, we collect video recordings of your workout and data about how you position and move your head, arms, hands, feet, legs and torso.
- Transactional Information: When you make a purchase or return, we collect information about the transaction, such as product details, purchase price, and the date and location of the transaction.
- Device and Usage Information: We collect information about how you access and use our Services, including data about the Equipment, mobile device and network you use. This includes unique device identification numbers and information about hardware model, operating system version, mobile network, IP address, browser type, and app version. We also collect information about your activity on our Site and Apps, such as access times, pages viewed, links clicked, and the page you visited before navigating to our Site.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Similar Tracking Technologies. We (and those who perform work for us) use tracking technologies, such as cookies and web beacons, to collect information about your interactions with the Services. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us improve our Services and your experience, see which areas and features of our Services are popular, and count visits. Web beacons (also known as “pixel tags” or “clear GIFs”) are electronic images that we use on our Services and in our emails to help deliver cookies, count visits, and understand usage and campaign effectiveness. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, see the Cookies and Similar Tracking Technologies section below.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
We obtain information from other sources. For example, if you choose to connect your Tonal account to third-party devices, such as heart rate monitors, wearable technology, and fitness accessories, or third-party services, such as social media networks, we will have access to certain information from those third-party devices and services, such as your heart rate data or social media profile photos, usernames and friend lists and any other information that you make accessible to us, in accordance with your settings on those third party devices and services.
Information We Derive
We may derive information or draw inferences about you based on the information we collect. For example, we may infer your approximate location based on your IP address.
Use of Information
We use the information we collect to provide the Services and personalize your experience with us, including to customize your workouts. We also use the information we collect to:
- Provide, maintain, repair, improve, and develop products and services;
- Respond to your inquiries, fulfill your requests, process your transactions, and provide customer service;
- Send administrative information and technical notices to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions, and policies, security alerts, and other transactional or relationship messages;
- Communicate with you about products, services, and events offered by Tonal and others and provide news and information that we think will interest you (see the Communications Preferences section below for information about how to opt out of these communications at any time);
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services;
- Provide and administer sweepstakes, contests, and similar promotions;
- Facilitate certain internal business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud detection and prevention, and to detect, investigate, and prevent security incidents and other malicious, deceptive, or illegal activity;
- Comply with our legal and financial obligations;
- Create de-identified, anonymized or aggregated information; and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
Targeted Advertising and Analytics
In addition, some of our advertising partners enable us to translate your email address or phone number into an identifier that can’t be used to identify you personally. Our advertising partners then use that unique identifier to show ads that are more relevant to you across the web and in mobile apps.
Some of the activities described in this section may constitute “targeted advertising,” “sharing,” or “selling” under certain state privacy laws. See Additional Disclosures for Individuals Residing in Certain U.S. States for more information and the privacy rights available to residents of California, Colorado, Connecticut, Virginia, and Utah, with respect to these practices.
You can also learn more about interest-based ads and opt out of having your web browsing information used for behavioral advertising purposes by companies that participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance by visiting www.aboutads.info/choices.
Disclosure of Information
In certain circumstances, we disclose (or permit others to directly collect) information about you. We disclose the categories of personal information described in the Collection of Information section above in the following ways:
- We disclose personal information to vendors, service providers and contractors that need access to this information to provide services to us, such as website hosting and cloud storage, data analytics, payment processing, order fulfillment, customer service, and marketing and advertising.
- If you participate in the interactive areas of our Services, such as by posting on message boards or blogs or participating in joint workouts, certain personal information about you may be disclosed to other Tonal users.
- If you decide to connect your Tonal account to third-party devices or services that integrate with our Services, we disclose certain information to the third parties that provide those devices or services, such as information about your workouts.
- If you decide to purchase an extended warranty for or accident protection coverage in connection with the Equipment, we disclose certain information to the third parties that provide this coverage, such as your contact information and purchase information.
- If you participate in a Tonal sweepstakes, contest or other promotion that is sponsored by a third party, we disclose information such as your email address to the sponsor.
- We disclose your personal information if we believe that disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests from public and government authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- We disclose personal information if we believe that your actions are inconsistent with our terms and conditions or policies, if we believe that you have violated the law, or if we believe it is necessary to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of Tonal, our affiliates, you, or users, the public, or others.
- We disclose personal information in connection with, or during negotiations concerning, any reorganization, merger, sale of company assets, joint venture, assignment, transfer, financing, or acquisition or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
- We disclose information to our lawyers and other professional advisors where necessary to obtain advice or otherwise protect and manage our business interests.
- Personal information is disclosed between and among Tonal and our corporate affiliates.
- We disclose personal information with your consent or at your direction.
We also disclose aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably be used to identify you. Tonal processes, maintains, and uses this information only in a de-identified fashion and will not attempt to re-identify such information, except as permitted by law.
Tonal is headquartered in the United States and we have operations and vendors in the United States, Canada and other countries. Therefore, we and those that perform work for us may transfer your personal information to, or store or access it in, jurisdictions that may not provide levels of data protection that are equivalent to those of your home jurisdiction.
Your Privacy Choices
You can access and delete certain information stored on your account profile at any time by logging into your account (on the Tonal Trainer or the mobile app) and viewing the “Activity” tab to see your workout history and by visiting your profile page to delete certain information. Should you need to correct information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cookies and Similar Tracking Technologies
Communications Preferences: Text & Email
You may opt out of receiving text messages or promotional emails from Tonal at any time. To opt out of promotional emails, please click on the unsubscribe link provided at the bottom of these emails If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
To opt out of text messages, please text the keyword “STOP” to our short code (42869). You will receive one additional text message from us to confirm that your request has been processed. For more information, please review the Text Messaging Program Terms.
Mobile Push Notifications
With your permission, we may send push notifications to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.
Additional Disclosures For Individuals Residing In Certain U.S. States
California, Colorado, Connecticut, Utah, and Virginia have enacted consumer privacy laws that grant their residents certain rights and require additional disclosures (“State Laws”). If you are a resident of one of these states, this section applies to you.
Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Personal Information
|Categories of Personal Information||Categories of Recipients||Use of Personal Information|
|Identifiers (such as your name, email and IP address)||Service providers; providers of connected applications; social networks; legal authorities; data analytics providers; ad networks; sponsors of sweepstakes, contests, and similar promotions; extended warranty and accident protection providers||We use this information to:|
· provide, maintain, repair, improve, and develop products and services;
· respond to your inquiries, fulfill your requests, process your transactions, and provide customer service;
· send administrative information and technical notices to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions, and policies, security alerts, and other transactional or relationship messages;
· communicate with you about products, services, and events offered by Tonal and others and provide news and information that we think will interest you;
· monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services;
· provide and administer sweepstakes, contests, and similar promotions;
· facilitate certain internal business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud detection and prevention, and to detect, investigate, and prevent security incidents and other malicious, deceptive, or illegal activity;
· comply with our legal and financial obligations;
· create de-identified, anonymized or aggregated information; and
· carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
|Commercial Information (such as records of products or services purchased)||Service providers; social networks; legal authorities; extended warranty and accident protection providers|
|Characteristics of Protected Classification (such as your age)||Service providers; providers of connected applications|
|Internet or other electronic network information (such as information from cookies and browsing history)||Service providers; providers of connected applications; social networks; data analytics providers; ad networks|
|Geolocation Data (such as approximate location derived from your IP address)||Service providers; providers of connected applications; social networks; legal authorities; data analytics providers; ad networks|
|Audio/Video Data (such as video recordings if you choose to Smart View)||Service providers; providers of connected applications; social networks; legal authorities|
|Inferences||Service providers; data analytics providers; ad networks|
Personal Information that we “Share,” “Sell,” or Use for “Targeted Advertising”
We disclose the following categories of personal information to show you ads promoting Tonal on other websites and services. These activities may be considered “sales,” “sharing” or “targeted advertising” under certain State Laws and you have the right to opt out of having your personal information used or disclosed for these purposes. See below for details about opting out.
|Category of Personal Information “Shared,” “Sold,” or Used for “Targeted Advertising”||Categories of Third Parties|
|Identifiers||Marketing and advertising partners, data analytics providers|
|Commercial information||Marketing and advertising partners, data analytics providers|
|Internet or other electronic network activity information||Marketing and advertising partners, data analytics providers|
|Inferences||Marketing and advertising partners, data analytics providers|
Other Details about our Information Practices
- As described in the Collection of Information section above, we collect personal information directly from you (for example, when you place an order from our Site), automatically when you access or use our Equipment, and from third-party sources, such as third-party devices that you choose to connect to your Tonal account. We also derive information or draw inferences about you based on the information we collect.
- We do not knowingly sell or share personal information about consumers under the age of 16.
- We do not use or disclose sensitive personal information for the purpose of inferring characteristics about you.
Your Privacy Rights
Opt Out of Sales, Sharing, and Targeted Advertising
As described above, you have the right to opt out of having your personal information sold, shared or used for targeted advertising. You may opt out by clicking on the “Your Privacy Choices” link in the footer of our website and following the instructions in the pop-up window. If you are a resident of California, you can also opt out by visiting our website with a legally-recognized opt-out preference signal enabled, such as the Global Privacy Control. Please note that our processing of the signal may be limited to the specific browser or device that you are using. You may need to renew your opt-out choice if you use a different browser or device to access our website, or if you clear your cookies.
Access, Correction, and Deletion
You have the right to (1) request to know more about and access your personal information, including in a portable format, (2) request deletion of your personal information, and (3) request correction of inaccurate personal information. To request access, correction, or deletion of your personal information, please email us at email@example.com or call our toll-free number at 855-698-6625. Once we receive the request, we will verify your request by asking you to provide information related to your recent interactions with us.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising your privacy rights.
If you reside in California, Colorado or Connecticut, you can designate an authorized agent to submit a privacy rights request on your behalf. We may ask authorized agents to submit proof of their authority to make the request, such as a valid power of attorney or proof that they have signed permission from the individual who is the subject of the request. In some cases, we may be required to contact the individual who is the subject of the request to verify his or her own identity or confirm the agent has permission to submit the request. If you are an authorized agent seeking to make a request, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If we deny your request, you may appeal our decision by contacting us at email@example.com. If you have concerns about the results of an appeal, you may contact the attorney general in the state where you reside.